I know that the popular belief is that younger is better, being young is more desirable, and growing old is the absolute worst thing that can happen. To some, it’s worse than death, because at least when you’re dead…well…you’re dead.
But I say, “Poppycock!!”
Okay, that was a really old, okay antiquated, thing to say.
Where the heck did the term poppycock come from anyway?
Regardless, I still stand by my first statement, younger is not better, it shouldn’t be more desirable. It has its benefits, more energy, less joint pain, yadda yadda yadda. But mostly, younger is just younger.
So here are my top ten reasons why I am enjoying my forties way more than I enjoyed my thirties and even my twenties.
Listen up you young whipper snapppers, you might just learn something.
10. I have a definite sense of my likes and dislikes. I have had 45 years of trying things in order to figure this out. For instance, Cabernet and stinky cheese is some next level “ish.” Merlot, not so much. Pretty much, if you haven’t figured the things you like and don’t by your 40s, you haven’t been living. Better start now.
9. I can chalk up any mistakes, forgetfulness, or any faux pas, to Perimenopause. You have to use that brain fog, those mood swings, and those night sweats to your advantage, Honey.
8. My kids are already grown…stops blog post gets up and does the Cabbage Patch around the room…okay back to the list.
7. I just don’t get embarrassed by silly things anymore. Skirt tucked in my underwear when I leave the bathroom? “Oh ha, we used to wear it like that in the ’80s.” Accidentally fart or burp in public? See #9
6. I am still young enough in looks to really pull off sexy vixen, but I am old enough to command respect from young people with just a few words or that stern, I’m-not-yo- mama-but-I-will-still-come-over-there-and-snatch-you, look.
5. I have come to realize that you don’t have to be or do just one thing in life. You can have as many hobbies, professions, adventures, lovers, as you like. You can literally reinvent yourself over and over again. I have done it at least 3 times already…reinvented myself…not the lovers part.
4. I literally have four decades of dance moves in my repertoire. You want me at your wedding, party, Bar Mitzvah…etc…TRUST!!
3. SEX…it gets so much better…I promise…like mind-blowingly so….FOR REAL!!
2. I have perfected the subtle art of the “No.” I learned how to say no early, in my 30s, but in my 40s, there is less hemming and hawing, less agonizing. Now I just, say, “Naw, I’m not gonna be able to do____________” And I keep it moving. It is really just that simple.
- And my number one reason for loving my forties so much more than the previous decades, I am still really freakin young. I am young, vibrant, smart, and confident, but I know stuff too. It’s a winning combination. By 50 I’ll be truly fierce.
I can’t wait.
Until next time,
Love, peace, and hot flashes,